Wednesday, August 21, 2013

Iceberg Lettuce & Grandma!

Sometimes the simplest things can evoke a memory from long ago and make me laugh! Tonight I was cleaning a fresh head of iceberg lettuce & the outer leaf was quite wilted, but it looked so nice I didn't want to toss it. Then I remembered a long time ago I offered to help my grandmother make the tossed salad for dinner. We didn't get to visit her often so it was always a treat to work in the kitchen with her when I was a young teen. Well when I proudly told Grandma that I knew how to make salad and asked if I could she asked me "are you going to waste as much lettuce as your mother does?" Fortunately for me I knew I better not sugarcoat this so I just said "probably". Well of course that was the wrong answer! So I watched Grandma make the salad that night!

In addition to "making salad" - aka not wasting lettuce! LOL! these are the other things I learned from Grandma in the kitchen:
  • how to make pie crust - I always get compliments on how flaky my crust is!
  • how to make gravy - no lumps allowed! & there won't be any if you do like Grandma showed me!
  • how to make enchiladas - be sure you don't skimp on the cheese & make sure it's sharp cheddar!
I also got my love for cloth tablecloths and napkins from my grandmother & use them everyday!

So even though Grandma has been up in heaven for many years now, her teachings still live on!

Hugs!
Patty

No comments:

Post a Comment